In Majstranden, as in all properties with more than 20 homes, there are collection containers for glass, metal and biowaste as well as for cardboard and waste paper.
Always sort your waste with care, into the correct container, and keep the lids on the containers closed.
Messy, over full rubbish containers, as well as rubbish bags thrown on the ground next to the rubbish containers, are a risk to health and also cause extra costs for the landlord and the tenants.
Furniture, electronics etc. must not be thrown in or left by the rubbish containers! For this purpose, collection points for useful waste are used. Information about these collection points can be found on HSY’s
Plastic packaging waste
- Empty plastic packages for foodstuff, such as yoghurt containers, butter tubs or packages for cold cuts, cheese and convenience food.
- Empty plastic detergent, shampoo and soap bottles.
- Plastic carriers, bags and wrappings.
- Empty plastic bottles, canisters and jars, preferably flattened; caps and lids detached.
Rinse or wipe clean empty packages, if necessary. It is clean enough if there is no odour nuisance.
Remove caps and lids. This will facilitate the further processing of packages.
- Corrugated cardboard
- Cardboard packaging, e.g. milk and juice packaging
- Cardboard packaging for dry goods e.g. cereals and biscuits
- Paper bags, shopping and sacks
- Pizza boxes and egg boxes
- Cardboard disposable tableware
- Hobby cardboard and drawings
- Dirty and un-rinsed packaging
- Plastic bags and polystyrene
Leftovers, fruit and vegetable peel, coffee grounds and tealeaves, household paper, twigs and grass
- Pack the biowaste in paper or other compostable material
All paper that comes through the post box, newspapers, magazines, white paper bags, advertising and envelopes. Not card!
In the glass container, you can place:
- glass bottles and jars
Rinse out dirty glass packaging with cold water.
Remove lids and corks. Rings around bottlenecks and labels do not need to be removed.
You must not place in the glass container:
- porcelain and ceramics
- window glass
- mirror glass
- car windows
- hear resistant glass (ovenproof dishes, coffee jugs, drinking glasses)
- opal glass (for example, in some cosmetic packaging)
- light bulbs
In the metal container you can place:
- food and drink tins
- aluminium trays and foil
- metal lids and corks
- metal shells for tea lights
- empty, dry meal boxes
- empty aerosol cans (that don’t splash or hiss)
No electrical or electronic waste!
- HSY’s collection vehicles
- HSY’s waste stations
- Small metal packaging to regional collection
Furniture, clothing and old things
Useable things, furniture and clothing – to the recycling centre or flea market.
Clothing and shoes to the Salvation Army and UFF’s collection containers. Collection services: The recycling centre and many flea markets.
For large unusable objects, HSY “Noutosortti” provides the service. There is further information on HSY’s websites.
Mixed waste is waste that cannot be reused or cannot be collected for recycling.
For example, mixed waste is:
- disposable nappies and sanitary towels
- leather and rubber
- vacuum cleaner bags
- light bulbs and halogen lamps as well as fuses
- products in PVC plastic
- ash and cigarette butts
- plastics with aluminium surface such as coffee and chips packets
What should I do with problem waste?
Problem waste must not be thrown in with the other waste.
Typical problem waste is: batteries, small lead-acid batteries, fluorescent tubes, lead-acid batteries, waste oil, medicines, thermometers, paint, glue, varnish and other poisons.
Take problem waste to HSY’s collection points, which can be found, for example, at many garages, or to HSY’s collection vehicles. Medicines can be taken to pharmacies.
A clever tenant avoids waste!
- buy only what you need
- replace disposable products with sustainable products
- repair and renew old things
- favour sustainable products that can be repaired
- avoid unnecessary packaging
- favour refill packs
- use toxic-free products
- favour material that can be reused
- take your own carrier bags when you go shopping
- do not use plastic bags unnecessarily